Thursday, September 18, 2008

(The next day....)

Okay, I know I totally left that hanging. But after slurping up all that pig-feet goodness it got so late, and.....I'll just recap.

First, you have to understand, pig's feet, it turns out, have very little.....what do you say.....meat? on them. Mostly there's bones, and in between the bones is this weird, sticky, gelatinous connective tissue that turns progressively softer the more you cook them. Then, the whole thing is wrapped up in skin. I only had about 3 and a half hours. Based on what I've read, if I had let them go a couple of hours more, they would have been a more ideal consistency for consumption. Nonetheless, I'd say we thoroughly enjoyed them. Even with the very strange, gluey texture (like nothing I've ever eaten), the flavor was soooooo good. The onions and garlic and white wine worked wonders.



What would I....no will I do different next time? Cook them a couple more hours, that's about it. I'll bet when they're completely falling off the bone they'll be perfect. Oh, and next time I think I'll try getting some bigger ones, with more of the "shank" or "forearm" part attached (more meat). Va bene! I'ma drooling already!

7 comments:

  1. It's so fun to catch up on life with people's blogs, though I have to say that your last two have kept me feeling queasy. I had to share them with Scott as I read them. Hooray for adventuristic folks. You keep it up and we'll be entertained by your blog. We hope you both are doing GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you definitely have to make that when we come visit (except maybe with regular piggie and not feet?) what was your drink pairing? white wine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously man. That looks like you're roasting baby piglets rather than pig feet. Are you sure that's not what you got?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without my prompting, Leslie said that the roastings looked like piglets. Gives a new twist to the song, "This Little Piggie went to the market..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it, I realized that after I posted the picture. Once I had to dissect a fetal pig in anatomy class, and it didn't smell at all nice. I guess the trick is next time I'll need to make them look more foot-like and less innocent-unborn-pig-like.....(hmmmmm, is it more evil to eat the little piggie as a defenseless weakling or when he's all grown up?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the contrast between the fine, aromatic dish you've made and the general association with feet. Lahaim!

    ReplyDelete